Can I copy a session file and use the captured from a copied

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Can I copy a session file and use the captured from a copied

Postby Likovsky » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:57 pm

I gave my client the RAW files and the folder with the session.
If they make changes in that session, can they send me the session .col50 file for me to open and apply those changes to my copy of the session, or do I need to copy their entire session, including the captures?
Likovsky

Re: Can I copy a session file and use the captured from a copied

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:52 pm

That depends on the changes.

But one general note first (for our readers :wink: ): you can only exchange sessions (that is session file (*.col50) between systems of the same platform, that is Mac to Mac or Windows to Windows.

Changes in the session like favorites and albums are entirely stored in the session file. Sending the session file back will be sufficient to transmit those changes back to you. Note that I assume that your client does not alter the folder structure of the session (adding, moving, deleting system folders).

Last note, image adjustments (exposure, white balance and so on) are not stored in the session file. This would be the primary changes your client makes, I would think. If this is the case, only sending you the Session50 sub folders of the image folder will transfer all the changes.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Likovsky » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks..
they are mostly starring their selects and changing some of the file names.
I was worried that this may not work so I told them to make a web contact sheet once they are done, keeping the image # in the name and then sending me the contact sheet.

Is there any other way to share selects within the session?
The closest thing I found is Capture Pilot but they are not on the same network and do not have the pro version like I do.
Likovsky

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Star rating and color tags are stored in the settings files as well. Let them send you the Settings50 sub folder of the image folder and you will have their selection. The settings files are very small.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Likovsky » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 am

Paul,

I tried that, which makes sense and figured it was the solution but once I put the files they sent into the Capture folder, none of the selects, changes or any settings were not there.

Any other way or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
Likovsky

Postby Likovsky » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 am

Perhaps also the Proxies folder needs to be copied as well. I'll give it a shot. Hope this doesn't drive my client too crazy :oops:
Likovsky

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 am

PhaseoneUser50155 wrote:Perhaps also the Proxies folder needs to be copied as well. I'll give it a shot. Hope this doesn't drive my client too crazy :oops:

Negative. Only the Settings50 folder. Something went wrong in the process that you did not see the changes you client has applied.

You can test this yourself by copy a folder of image to a different location your disk (or second computer), apply ratings at the original location and transfer the Settings50 folder to the copy location. Next, open the copy location and see the ratings applied.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby rap_digital » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:06 pm

This isn't exactly what you are after but might be useful. Its a script that creates a list of the selected files and saves a txt file in the Documents folder called CO_Selects.txt. Install this script into the Capture One Scripts folder. Then in CO select the selected files and run the script from the script menu in CO.

Its basically a re-write of the MoveTo... script that ships with the App.

www.rapdigital.net/Selected.zip
rap_digital

Postby E-Rock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Hey Rick,

Do you still have that script to extract capture file names to a text file available for download? Your previous link is broken.

Cheers,
Eric
E-Rock
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby rap_digital » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 am

WOW, I forgot I wrote that will have to look it up. I do have another script that is basically the same thing.

http://www.rap.net.au/rap-apps/capture-one-image-list/
rap_digital

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software